General English-pre Intermediate
Rationale for the course
The rationale of the course is to provide a General English course for students to proceed on to after completing the Elementary level. Students at this level need to continue building their vocabulary and grammar repertoire to meet basic survival demands in everyday situations. Students also need to have a range of situations where they can put their language to work. This course is important in developing students’ language skills in a range of familiar contexts prior to joining the Intermediate ELICOS course.
Profile of target learner group
Students joining the General English Pre-Intermediate course will be from a non-English speaking background from a range of countries. They will be over 18 years of age and will have a range of reasons for wanting to learn English. These reasons may be related to personal, social, vocational or future study needs or a combination of these.
Students are expected to have mastered the fundamentals of English and need more practice at expanding their vocabulary and grammar in order to express themselves. Students are likely to require encouragement to develop their independent learning skills and to develop their confidence to use English outside the classroom.
Benefits of the General English course
Possible job titles include:
- Develops English language communication skills, including fluency and clear pronunciation
- Provides a flexible approach to meet students’ individual learning needs
- Focuses on realistic situations to practice reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in English
- Builds in IELTS practice activities for students needing an IELTS score for other purposes, such as further study or work
- Expands students’ general knowledge and awareness of local and international current affairs
Duration: 13 Weeks
Tuition Fee: AUD 2450
Course Material Fee: AUD 300
- Current on www.training.gov.au
- Duration 10 weeks x 20 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English